Return to Headlines
EASD Athletics Mitigation Efforts (POSTED: August 23, 2021)
GOAL AND OBJECTIVE
- Maintain a safe environment for our student-athletes that respects the ongoing global health crisis.
- Afford maximum participation of our student-athletes.
- Keep our athletic teams participating in their respective leagues.
MASKING GUIDELINES (Athletes and Spectators)
- Masking will remain a personal choice unless the school board decides to reopen the Health and Safety plan OR the District receives a county, state, or federal mandate requiring masking. While not mandated, masks are recommended and strongly encouraged for all indoor activities in accordance with CDC and DOH guidance.
- Face coverings must be worn by all student-athletes, coaches, and team managers (regardless of vaccination status) on school buses and school vans in alignment with a federal mandate that is still in place.
STAY HOME FROM SCHOOL AND CONTACT TRACING
- If a student-athlete is experiencing any one major COVID-19 symptom (fever of 100.4 or greater; cough; new loss of taste or smell; shortness of breath or difficulty breathing; chills; fatigue; muscle or body aches) or two minor COVID-19 symptoms (headache; sore throat; congestion or runny nose; nausea or vomiting; diarrhea), the student-athlete should stay home from school, not participate in their respective extracurricular activity, and contact their school nurse and coach immediately. This will help ensure the number of close contacts on the team is minimal and that the team can continue to compete.
- If a student-athlete is confirmed to have COVID-19 AND has participated in an athletic event, quarantining will occur based on close contacts (close contact is defined as any student/staff member who has been in close contact (within six feet) for a cumulative total of fifteen minutes over a twenty-four-hour period once a PUI becomes a confirmed positive).
- If you are a close contact who HAS BEEN VACCINATED (proof of vaccination required), you can continue to attend school and participate in extracurricular activities as long as the student-athlete remains symptom-free.
- If you are a close contact who HAS TESTED POSITIVE FOR COVID-19 in the past 90 days (proof of positive test required), you can continue to attend school and participate in extracurricular activities as long as the student-athlete remains symptom-free.
- If you are a close contact who HAS NOT BEEN VACCINATED, the student-athlete must quarantine for 10 days since the last exposure to the positive person AND no major or secondary COVID-19 symptoms present OR 7 days have passed since the close contact AND a negative test at least 5 days after the close contact.
- All of our athletic venues will be open to spectators with no limitations on the size of the audience.
- If you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, please stay home.
- Before attending an away event, please check the mitigation requirements of the host district as they may differ from EASD’s efforts.