Asbestos Abatement Update
As was shared in December 2019, in preparation for the upcoming renovation to the unoccupied lower level of middle school, the District partnered with Cumberland Analytical Laboratories to develop a remediation plan to remove the last remaining asbestos in the secondary school complex. Several rooms in the un-renovated lower level of Elizabethtown Area Middle School have undisturbed asbestos-containing materials.
Abatement of the undisturbed asbestos material in the unoccupied lower level of the middle school is underway. Several students were concerned about signs posted in the schools. The signs are required by law and in place to protect anyone from entering the active, environmentally-controlled work site. Rest assured, the safety of students, faculty, staff, and school visitors is always our number one priority. As such, as we detailed in December, ALL necessary safety measures have been undertaken to ensure the asbestos-abatement project does not compromise the air quality in the school. As a reminder, these safety measures are as follows:
- Erect containment walls to secure the active worksite.
- Disable the HVAC system to the lower level of the middle school to block airflow to and from the worksite.
- Install a negative airflow machine to vacuum air inside the worksite of any airborne-asbestos materials.
- Remove any remediated asbestos-containing material from the building daily.
- Test the air quality for airborne asbestos-material daily in both the active worksite and in the occupied upper levels of the middle school with immediate, onsite results.
Please contact Troy Portser, Director of School and Community Information, by phone at (717) 367-1521 or by email at email@example.com if you have any questions about the asbestos abatement program.