Cold & Flu Season Reminders
Cold and Flu season is in full swing. Our main goal this winter is to keep our students as healthy as possible. Our Health Services Department encourages you to know the signs and symptoms of the flu. Symptoms include fever (100 degrees or greater), cough, sore throat, a runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, and feeling very tired. A child should stay home from school if he or she is sick until at least 24 hours after there is no longer a fever or signs of a fever without the use of fever-reducing medications. Watch for worsening symptoms, which may require emergency care such as difficulty breathing. For medical questions or concerns, contact your physician.
In addition, we cannot prevent the spread of the flu in our schools without help from all of our parents and guardians. As such, we are asking that you review the following safety precautions with your son/daughter:
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue and throw the tissue away. If a tissue is not available, cough or sneeze into the sleeve of your shirt, not your hand.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water, especially after a cough or sneeze. The use of hand sanitizer is also a great way to stop the spread of germs.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth as this is the easiest way for germs to spread.
- Drink plenty of clear liquids such as water, broth, and sports drinks to keep from being dehydrated.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Do not share eating utensils or drink containers.
Thank you for your help in keeping our schools a healthy environment for learning.