Bears Virtual Learning Day
If our buildings are closed because of the weather, our text and email messages, as well as our website and social media announcements, will communicate that we will be activating a Bears Virtual Learning Day. In very rare instances of significant impact events, when the community’s priorities are redirected to safety and welfare (such as a blizzard, major flooding, etc), we will not make use of Bears Virtual Learning Days and instead use designated make-up days identified in our board-approved calendar. We will be clear as to which option we are implementing.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT BEARS VIRTUAL LEARNING DAYS
- Students K-12 enrolled in EASD Online, full in-person, hybrid in-person instruction will operate on a 2-hour delay schedule. Bears Virtual Learning Days do not impact students enrolled in LLVS as they are on an independent time schedule.
- Communication regarding class schedules and virtual activities for the day will come from either your child’s building principal and/or teacher as soon as possible but no later than the morning of the weather event.
- Students will have synchronous (live stream) and asynchronous (at your own schedule) educational experiences following the child’s building two-hour delay schedule.
- Students are expected to fully participate in lessons and activities, which could come in various formats (i.e., ZOOM class meetings, SeeSaw and Schoology Learning Management System uploads, emergency instructional packets).
- The District will track attendance based on student participation and work completion. If your child is ill, please follow our regular absenteeism reporting procedure.
- Students will be marked with an unexcused absence if they do not participate; do not complete the work; or if the student is not reported off for illness. Students who are ill will need to make up the work upon their return to school.
- Households without access to technology (device and/or internet) should contact their child’s teacher/ principal for assistance and may be given a reasonable extension to complete the assigned work.
- A Bears Virtual Learning Day is in lieu of the traditional school closing. As such, there will be no need to make the day up as school is in session in a virtual format.
If you have any questions about Bears Virtual Learning Days, please contact Dr. Karen Nell, assistant superintendent, at email@example.com or your child’s building principal.
The District is excited to take advantage of this new flexibility. As we all know, sometimes the weather is unpredictable, which may make an early decision not possible. When circumstances permit, we will make every effort to make the school closing and Bears Virtual Learning Day decisions and announcements before a weather event as we understand the impact on families and staff.