The Elizabethtown Area School District has released the new school attendance boundaries (see maps below) for its four primary elementary schools (Bainbridge, East High Street, Mill Road, and Rheems), which will go into effect for the 2018-2019 school year. The goal of the redistricting plan was to redraw the school district’s attendance boundaries for the primary elementary schools to balance enrollment across all primary elementary schools, maximize the district's multi-million dollar investment of the newly renovated Bainbridge ES, be more fiscally responsible to all constituents, and plan for future renovations/growth. Key assumptions used to develop the plan were as follows:
- Predicted enrollment at each school based on current boundaries
- Current and potential attendance zones based on population
- Class size targets at the primary elementary level
- Natural boundaries for school attendance zones
- Functional capacity at each school
- Transportation patterns and efficiencies
- Future building/renovation projects
- Walking Zones
For questions about the new school boundaries or if you are unsure as to which school zone your home resides, please contact Troy Portser, Director of School and Community Information by phone at (717) 367-1521, ext. 10024 or by email at email@example.com.
Key Facts About the Redistricting Plan
- Plan impacts students in grades K-3 attending Bainbridge, East High Street, Mill Road, and Rheems Elementary Schools only.
- 87% of the roughly 970 students students enrolled in grades K-3 for the 2018-2019 school ARE NOT impacted by the redistricting plan.
- 13% or 128 students in grades K-3 have been reassigned to a new school for the 2018-2019 school year.
- There is a high likelihood of some adjustments for the 2019-2020 school year given the pending renovation of Rheems Elementary School that will get underway at the completion of the 2018-2019 school year and run for the duration of the 2019-2020 school year.
School Zone Maps
- Bainbridge (Black shading)
- East High Street (Blue shading)
- Mill Road (Green shading)
- Rheems (Red shading)
Alternate Transportation Bus Stops
The Elizabethtown Area School District allows parents to request school transportation be provided to/from an alternate site in place of the student’s residence. An alternate site could be a babysitter’s residence, daycare center, or other facility where parents drop off or pick up their child each school day. The alternate site must be located within the child's assigned school attendance zone. In addition, parents/guardians can only designate ONE morning location and ONE afternoon location as the alternate stop. The AM and PM locations cannot change from day-to-day meaning the chosen location is the same Monday through Friday with the exception of some custody situations. For more information on Alternate Transportation Bus Stops, CLICK HERE.
Alternative Building Requests
Beginning with the 2018-2019 school year, the Elizabethtown Area School District will begin a 2-year phase out of the Alternative Building Request program. The Alternative Building Request program allows parents/guardians to petition the District to have their child attend another school in the District outside of the designated school zone attendance boundaries.
For the 2018-2019 school year, a limited number of requests will be approved. The District may grant requests based upon the availability of space, class sizes, and other factors. If your request is granted, transportation to and from the school will be YOUR SOLE responsibility. YOU MAY NOT USE DISTRICT-PROVIDED TRANSPORTATION. The District retains the right to rescind exceptions granted up to the first day of school. If you wish to make an Alternative Building Request for the 2018-2019 school year, click the link below to download the form. The form must be submitted to the District by August 1.
For the 2019-2020 school year, the EASD will no longer offer the Alternative Building Request program. Primary-aged elementary students will need to attend the school in which their residence falls.
Day Care Providers
For the 2018-2019 school year ONLY, EASD will provide AM and PM (not mid-day for Kindergarten) bussing to and from ECCC, GEARS, and U-Grow childcare service providers to each of our primary elementary schools (Bainbridge, East High Street, Mill Road, and Rheems). However, beginning with the 2019-2020 school year, EASD will only provide bussing service to one AM and one PM stop that lies within the child's school zone. That one stop could be ECCC or U-Grow if the respective daycare falls within your child's school zone.