Pennsylvania Value Added Assessment System
FROM THE PVAAS STATE WEBSITE:
The Pennsylvania Value Added Assessment System (PVAAS) is a statistical analysis of Pennsylvania state assessment data, and provides Pennsylvania districts and schools with growth data to add to achievement data. This lens of measuring student learning provides educators with valuable information to ensure they are meeting the academic needs of groups of students, as well as individual students.
Districts and schools are using PVAAS (growth data), in conjunction with achievement data, to make sure students are on the path to proficiency and beyond. Utilizing all the data available (growth and achievement), educators are able to make data-informed instructional decisions to ensure the academic growth and achievement of all students.
To help you understand PVAAS analysis, think of academic growth in terms of a child’s physical growth, and the growth charts utilized by a child’s physician. Growth charts are an important tool for monitoring a child’s development, but they are just one of the indicators used by the physician to ensure a child is growing at the minimum expected level and on the trajectory to grow as expected. A physician would not use a growth chart in isolation to diagnose a child; however, the growth chart would provide valuable information that may warrant further exploration.
What is the difference between achievement and growth data?
- Measures a student’s performance at one single point in time
- Highly correlated with a student’s demographics
- Compares student performance to a standard
- Critical to a student’s post-secondary opportunities
- Measures a student’s growth across time; i.e., across years
- Little to no relationship to student demographics
- Compares student performance to his/her own prior performance
- Critical to ensuring a student’s future academic success
- By measuring students’ academic achievement AND growth, schools and districts have a more comprehensive picture of their own effectiveness in raising student achievement
PVAAS Public Website
The Pennsylvania Department of Education's PVAAS website provides information on the grades and subjects assessed in Pennsylvania's statewide assessment system. This includes reporting for math and reading (grades 4-8), science (grades 4, 8), writing (5, 8) and Keystones (Algebra 1, Literature, Biology).
The PVAAS public site includes, but is not limited to:
- Scatterplots - a visual representation of growth and achievement results for schools and districts.
- District Search - the ability to search the growth results for a district in a specific state-assessed subject/content area as compared to other districts testing in at least one of the same grade levels for that subject or course. These results are only reported Across Grades. Single grade-level reporting is not provided on the PVAAS public site.
- School Search - the ability to search the growth results for a school in a specific state-assessed subject/content area as compared to other schools testing in at least one of the same grade levels for that subject or course. These results are only reported Across Grades. Single grade-level reporting is not provided on the PVAAS public site.