Frequently Asked Questions

  • What role does the district's health services department play in the overall mission of the district?
    The Elizabethtown Area School District recognizes the important role that the health and well being of our students plays in supporting the learning process. As former US Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders said...You cannot educate a child who is not healthy and you cannot keep a child healthy who is not educated.
    The district's school nurses assist students in managing health-related struggles, thus ensuring that students, regardless of health-related challenges, can participate in a free, appropriate public education. School nurses promote health and safety, intervene in the event of a health emergency, and provide case management services. Among their many responsibilities are as follows:

    • Administer first aid, medications, and emergency care.
    • Identify and assist the student who is abused, a victim of violence, drug or alcohol dependent or pregnant.
    • Promote healthy lifestyles through education on personal hygiene, ADHD, eating disorders, STD prevention, asthma, diabetes, and chronic disease management.
    • Administer health assessments and screenings as required by the Pennsylvania Department of Health.
    • Act as liaison to dental and medical services, vision care, Pennsylvania Department of Health and family services.

    Can my child take medicine while at school?
    Yes. Your child may take medicine while at school as long as the district policy governing medicine use (Policy 210) is followed.
    Can my child carry their own respiratory inhaler or epinephrine auto-injector (epi-pen) while in school?
    Yes. The district recognizes the need for some students to carry in their possession a respiratory inhaler or an epinephrine auto-injector or risk potential life-threatening reactions. As such, as long as Policy 210.1 is followed, students may carry their own inhaler or epinephrine auto-injector while in school.
    When should I keep my child home from school?
    The district encourages parents to keep their son or daughter at home if he or she has any of the following symptoms. Your child should remain at home until these symptoms are resolved or treated by a doctor.

    • Temperature over 100.0 degrees (should be normal for 24 hours before returning to school)
    • Vomiting and/or diarrhea
    • Red, itchy eyes with drainage
    • Persistent cough or thick nasal discharge
    • Persistent itching of the scalp or skin (if your child has been treated for head or body lice, call your school nurse to have your child checked before he or she goes to class)

    Are there certain health conditions that would prohibit my child from attending school?
    Yes. Students shall be excluded from school for the following specified diseases and infectious conditions as regulated by the Pennsylvania Department of Health:

    • Acute contagious conjunctivitis (pink eye) - 24 hours from first application of appropriate medication from child’s physician.
    • Ringworm – until treated and judged non-infective by the child’s physician.
    • Impetigo – until treated and judged non-infective by the child’s physician.
    • Head or body lice – until treated and progress noted by health room staff.
    • Scabies – until treated by the child’s physician.
    • Tonsillitis – 24 hours from the first application of appropriate medication.
    • Respiratory streptococcal infections, including scarlet fever – 24 hours after first dose of appropriate medication from child’s physician.
    • Chickenpox – 6 days from the last crop of vesicles (pox).
    • Measles – 4 days from the onset of rash.
    • Mumps – 9 days from the onset or until swelling subsides.
    • Rubella (German Measles) – 4 days from the onset of the rash.
    • Pertussis (Whopping Cough) – 5 days from the first dose of antibiotic.
    • Diphtheria – 2 weeks from the onset or until appropriate negative culture tests.
    • MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) - until treated and judged non-infective by the child’s physician.

    What immunizations does my child need to have?
    The Pennsylvania Department of Health mandates that students have certain immunizations to start school in any grade and additional requirements for students entering seventh grade. Immunizations must be current and complete. A detailed listing of requirements can be found on the Immunization Requirements page of the School Health Services website.
    My child will not be able to attend school for an extended period due to a serious medical condition. How will my child receive academic instruction while at home recovering?
    If your child misses school for a period of time longer than three weeks, she/he may be eligible for homebound instruction (Policy 117). Please contact your child's school counselor for additional information.
    My child has a specific health condition and/or allergy that I would like the school to be aware of.  Who do I contact?
    Notify your child's school nurse of the medical condition. The district's health services department will work with the family to ensure the medical needs of the child are met while at school.