A career shadow gives a student a meaningful introduction to the world of work and provides a context for understanding the connection between school and careers. Specifically, a career shadow helps a student accomplish the following:
- Begin to identify career interests.
- Observe the daily routine of adult workers.
- Gain an awareness of the academic, technical, and personal skills required by particular jobs.
- Develop and apply communication skills by interacting with workers and interviewing them.
- Realize that different jobs are characterized by different work cultures and working environments.
- Begin to understand the connection between school, work, and achieving goals.