The middle school Technology and Engineering classes meet every day for 22 days. The classes are set up to introduce students to the engineering design process and to classes they could take in high school. The middle school level is a great place to see if you like an area or not. If you discover that you like it, then you can take more in the high school. If you don't like it, then, don't take more in the high school. The subjects covered are selected to align with National and State Academic Standards as well as being relevant to skills the students will need in their future.
In the 6th grade Technology and Engineering class, students will explore the world of engineering.
- They will learn how to apply the engineering design process to solve problems. They will use a variety of materials and coding to solve problems with an emphasis on communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and creativity.
- If they are interested in these types of projects, they can do more of them in the Etown Engineering Club competitions.
- They will also be using CS First with Google to explore the world of software coding.
In the 7th grade Technology and Engineering class, students will explore the world of manufacturing. They will learn how to take an idea and turn it into something that is real.
- In the advanced manufacturing unit, they will learn how to use Computer Aided Drafting to create a 3D model on the computer. They will be using Tinkercad to design their 3D model. They will then use Computer Aided Manufacturing to 3D print their 3D model.
- In the traditional manufacturing unit, they will use hand tools and simple power tools to layout, sand, and assemble a project made from wood.
In the 8th grade Technology and Engineering class, students will explore the world of aviation and electronics.
- Their imaginations will give flight when they design, build, and test several airplanes in the aviation unit.
- In the electronics unit, they will focus on automation where they will use a systems approach to examine the input, process, and output of an electronic system. They will also learn how to code and use electronic components to breadboard and test their code. They will be using kits from Sparkfun for this.